Berlin offers the most tightly woven network of university and non-university research institutions in all of Germany - an excellent basis for interdisciplinary work and cooperation with industry.
»This is what makes Berlin so unique for me as an entrepreneur: I can find scientific expertise here for every question.«Prof. Christine Lang, Founder of the Organobalance GmbH and professor at the Technische Universität Berlin
Berlin is one of the largest and most diverse science regions in Europe:
- 4 universities, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, two of which are Universities of Excellence
- 4 Colleges or institutes of art,
- 7 Universities of applied sciences,
- more than 30 private universities,
- 22 Technology parks and business incubators,
- more than 70 non-university research institutions, among them
- 4 institutes of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft
- 5 institutes and archives of the Max Planck Gesellschaft
- 14 institutes, two field offices, and the office of the Leibniz Association
- 2 research centers and three field offices of the Helmholtz Association
- more than 180,000 registered students, about 50% are women (WS 2016/2017).
Roughly 200,000 people from around the world teach, research, work and study here. Approximately 19 percent of all students come from abroad, most of them from China, Russia and the USA. Many cooperative programs link Berlin’s institutes of higher education with partner institutes around the world.
Scientific know-how and qualified professionals are important to securing the private sector's innovative capacity and competitiveness as well as Berlin's attractiveness as a center of business.
Berlin has numerous modern Technology Centers and so called Zukunftsorte - Sites of the future - with tremendous development potential. Their science-oriented infrastructure makes them attractive locations for young, technology-oriented companies.
Berlin's scientific landscape
Click on the icons in our interactive map to obtain further information on Berlin's Scientific Landscape, sites and infrastructural services - in 2D and 3D.